Monday, March 3, 2008

Our New House



This post is for Anne Marie and my parents as promised. For all of you that don't know the story of our new house here it is. When we moved down to Salt Lake we bought an awesome town home. We loved it and had worked on it some. Last summer Nick and I were looking at the real estate market (this was before the market crashed). Nick had been looking at a new development for awhile which had grown like crazy and the prices were increasing a lot (he thought it would be a good investment). Just to see what we could get for our house we put it on craigslist for a lot more than we thought we could get. Within a week we had two interested parties and decided to go ahead and sell it. Since we sold just at the right time we were able to put a big down payment and build in the area Nick had been looking at.

It was one of the cookie cutter homes which was hard for Nick (since he is in architecture school) but we figured we could change a lot to make it our own later. Our house was finished in December. It's crazy that it's our house. We feel so lucky! It's not a lot bigger than our town home but little things make a huge difference. I think my favorite part is the pantry (Nick's favorite is the garage). It's amazing. We are so blessed. You can tell Nick is in architecture school and loves the modern style. Good thing he has amazing taste. I do think we took too many projects on ourselves to save money. In our last house we painted the cabinets. We decided to do that in this house. I forgot how horrible it was to do. Last time I had my moms help and no school. This time it took forever but it's finally done, yeah!! We still have a lot to do (like our yard and floors). Nick is currently working on concrete countertops. We will keep you updated and show more pictures when more gets done. You are welcome to visit any time!

13 comments:

Danika said...

Hey this is Dan. I think your house looks pretty sweet. It sounds like you guys are doing great. It's good to hear from you Nick. Here is my email: danhumpy@gmail.com. Being a dad is good although it sucks being so busy where I don't get to see him as much as I would like to. Keep in touch. Tell Leila good luck with her rotations and studies.

Dan

Bre said...

Hey, the house looks great! I am so jealous! IT is beautiful, do you like living in SLC? We bought a house a year ago now, but I dont think we will be here forever, we will build someday. I love it! Congrats! SOunds like you guys are busy!

Bre said...

Oh and I forgot to tell you that you were a beautiful bride! Love the photo! Doesnt that day seem like forever ago?:( It went by so fast. Where did you guys get married again? ANyway, just wanted to tell ya I love the pic.

Kristen said...

First off, WOW! You made such a beautiful bride (not that I would have doubted it!) I love your dress and your long hair. Where was that picture taken? I love the arch in your house, it's gorgous. That's exciting that your parents are on a mission...how lucky that you got to go visit. It's great to hear from you!

and peanut makes three... said...

Wow, you guys... we are so excited for you! We miss you guys so much, Leila - what are the chances of you and I picking the exact same background...seriously - I am not kidding...two birds of a feather. I finally found my exact match! John and I are cracking up, there were like thousands to choose from! We miss you guys SO much!

Mauri said...

How nice to have a place of your own....love the decor...cute, cute! Rick is heading towards Orthopedic Surgery and we are just now deciding where to apply for Away Rotations. He'll hopefully do those in the early part of 4th year. We love it here, but would be happy to stay or go anywhere! Most likely we'll apply to 40 or so programs. If we had to choose today, some of our favorites are University of Michigan (Josh and Bam start school there in the fall), MAYO, University of Iowa, Colorado and USC...who knows?? Could change tomorrow! Let's keep in touch and see where this fun adventure takes us!

AnneMarie said...

You have that magic touch that makes everything look perfect! What a beautiful home!!! You are so talented at putting things together. Thanks for posting these pics it really does help to get an idea of where you go home to every night. Can I even tell you again how much I love that you have a blog!!

Julie M. said...

Your house is awesome! That was the hardest part of moving for us, leaving our first house (it's still for sale if you know anyone)!

Kristi & Mike said...

We are so jealous! Your house looks absolutely beautiful. Yeah, next time you plan a trip to Brazil let us know...we are game! It's so good to be able to keep in touch!

Brittany said...

Hey it's the Lowe family. Your house is amazing and we want to come see it in person. Congratulations on building your gorgeous home. Jared says sllabymtae!

Desi said...

Wow! Your house is so fun and beautiful! I Love seeing houses, and I keep reminding myself... one day, one day. To answer your question, we would love to go back to Logan when we are done, but that will still be about 5-6 years. Jarom is in the Army, so when he graduates next spring we'll be off to who knows where. Logan is a very special place to us, but we may be anxious to get back to South Pasadena, we love it here. It is fun to see what you and Nick are doing; you are a great couple!

Sarah Ida said...

Leila! This is Sarah Huber... I was blog surfing and found it. Anyway, I'm in the process of buying a home in North Salt Lake... I wonder if we are neighbors?! Foxboro??? Anyway, I hope all is well. :)

Unknown said...

Hey, great house! I'm actually looking for a new house to buy that would make a good investment. Can you give me directions to your subdivision, or a name of a realty agent?

Thanks!
Edwin Barker